Skip to content
In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD
(1872-1918) Canadian Army
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
1. Thou Shalt not change jobs, quit a job, or become self-employed.
2. Thou shalt not not buy or lease a new car, truck or van.
3. Thou shalt not max out your credit cards or let any current accounts fall past due.
4. Thou shalt not spend the money you have set aside for your down payment and closing costs.
5. Thou shalt not omit any debts or liabilities from your loan application.
6. Thou shalt not go out and buy new furniture for your new home.
7. Thou shalt not do anything that that will originate an inquiry into your credit.
8. Thou shalt not deposit any gift funds or make any other large deposits into any of your accounts without checking with your mortgage broker.
9. Thou shalt not change bank accounts.
10. Thou shalt not co-sign a loan for anyone.
The University of Connecticut Marching Band in partnership with Yamaha Corporation invites all percussionists in grades 7-12 to the 2014 Sounds of Summer Percussion Clinic. The clinic will be held on Friday, June 20 – Saturday, June 21 at the University of Connecticut campus in Storrs, CT.
The UConn Drumline and Yamaha recognize the need of having expert percussion instruction available for students in the preparation of parades, halftime shows, competitions, and other marching band activities. The Sounds of Summer experience is geared toward all ability levels.
Advanced players will be exposed to a higher level of playing, intermediate players will be provided with the tools to keep them moving in the right direction, and beginning players will be given a solid foundation for which they can build. This is also a wonderful opportunity to begin developing the skills and techniques of young rising percussionists. Overall, participants will gain greater knowledge and confidence through their participation in the Sounds of Summer program.
Students have the option of participating as a Day Camper ($60) or an Overnight Camper ($100). All participants who register by May 30 will be offered a special $10 early bird discount. All registrants will receive additional information about the clinic upon receipt of their registration form. For more information and to register, please visit the new UConn Drumline website at uconndrumline.org/sos. Questions can be directed to the UConn Band office at 860-486-2383 or email@example.com.
The Challenge is Back!
Tuesday, May 6, 12 noon – Wednesday, May 7, 12 noon
On May 6 and 7, 2014, Connecticut Community Foundation is joining other community foundations throughout the United States for a national day of local giving by hosting their 2nd Give Local Greater Waterbury & Litchfield Hills.
During this 24-hour online giving challenge, between 12 noon on Tuesday, May 6 through 12 noon on Wednesday, May 7, donors can make gifts of $10 or more to 148 participating 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations that are located in or provide services the Connecticut Community Foundation’s 21 town service area.
Every dollar donated to participating nonprofits will be eligible for matching funds from a local matching pool – amplifying every gift! Nonprofits will also be eligible for cash prizes throughout the 24-hours!
• To bring people together to celebrate community-wide philanthropy
• To increase the number of donors and raise funds for participating nonprofits
• To raise awareness about local nonprofits and the great work they do
• To celebrate with Give Local America, a national day of giving honoring the 100th Anniversary of Community Foundations.
How Does It Work?
• Connecticut Community Foundation has set up an online giving platform at www.givelocalccf.org. Profiles of participating nonprofits will be searchable by name, population served and program area. During the 24-hour event, the website will have a leader board for all to see real-time giving tallies.
• Anyone can donate at www.givelocalccf.org to a participating nonprofit between 12 noon on Tuesday, May 6 through 12 noon on Wednesday, May 7. The minimum donation is $10 and there is no maximum! Donations will be amplified with local matching funds and nonprofits may be eligible for additional prizes!